Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Last Time I Cried

           It was the dawn of March 17th. The hour hand had finally made its tantalizingly slow turn around the clock, and another tiresome week of homework and quizzes had finally given way to another blissful Saturday of rest. Normally, in celebration of the arrival of another day of salvation, I would have slept at around 2 o'clock, about an hour earlier than the average time of my slumber. But that day was no normal Saturday - it was St. Patrick's Day, and so at a little to 3 o'clock, I was laid back in my chair, staring at the ceiling through the pitch darkness and listening over and over to a song that I had been listening to since the clock turned twelve.
           During the 18 years of my life, I had listened to a multitude of songs and music. My interests in music had shifted and expanded over the years to encompass a vast range of genres from classic to rock, from folk to hiphop, from country to metal. But never until that day had I ever empathized with the lyrics of a song, so when I heard John Mayer's "St. Patrick's Day," I could not stop listening to the song over and over again.



no way November will see our goodbye
when it comes to December it's obvious why
no one wants to be alone at Christmastime
come January we're frozen inside
making new resolutions a hundred times
February won't you be my Valentine
and we'll both be safe until St. Patrick's Day

           From some time, listening to the lyrics, I had started crying. It was not a pouring kind of crying - it has been some time since I have cried with tears flowing down my cheeks in streams. Instead, during the course of the song, a tear would slow grow at the corner of my eyes and at the end of each, it would finally succumb to gravity and gradually creep down my cheeks, down my neck until it reached the neck of my shirt and was absorbed into the fabric. Having listened to the song for hours, I could distinctly feel the moistness of the clothing around my neck.
           I sat there, crying and feeling a complex mixture of feelings. I felt sad and depressed; I felt isolated and alone; I felt insecure and incomplete; I felt remorse and regret. The sensation that I had no place to rely on in my times of grief and hardship surrounded me, swallowed me, and overwhelmed me, clawing at my heart and drawing out my tears. The wall on which I could lean on when I was trying to stand up from the blows that life delivered was gone, and the fact that I had put myself in this position, that I had thrown away my happiness and meaning of life tormented and choked me into endless regrets.
           Tears entail a variety of meanings. Sometimes it is the result of sorrow and grief, sometimes of contentment, and sometimes of nothing at all. I cried for sorrow. And the truth is, the sorrow still lingers.      

5 comments:

  1. you must be a big fan of rock. I didn't know. I hated this essay while I was reading, because reading it made me to feel gloomy and depressed. Maybe this was possible because I too thses days feel more frequently depressed and serene than ever in my life while I am listening to music or so. Your essay is exceptional in its style and word choices. I think including more of some description showing your personality can make this essay better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great essay..
    i see why you are the editor in chief though newspaper articles vary from these essays..
    i'm not sure what to suggest for improvement.
    By the way i am listening to the song and i like it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great writing! I never knew you listened to rock music. Something about music is another topic that I really like. They often sound very intersting just like yours do. You better come to rock festival this Sunday if you like rock:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is a "rush job" but it it still very good. With some restructuring it could easily be a winner. I like it better than the last one you wrote.

    First of all, I'd put the song lyrics in the beginning, and do a better job of establishing the setting. Things that make this essay good is the reference to popular culture (everyone knows John Mayer - either for being a playboy or being a great artist). I empathize because I remember discovering John Mayer on my iPod during a bus ride from GLPS to Seoul way back in 2006. Another teacher had dumped 1000 or so songs on my new iPod and I listened to Mayer for the first time, and the emotional depth of his songs was "wow." Especially one about getting old and watching your parents get old. I can't remember the song but maybe it had something about a train in it.

    Good work. Try this one again and don't be afraid to put in some stuff that didn't actually happen for impact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel something in your essay that I cannot describe in words..
    I think this is more than just a college essay so I won't make any judgments.
    But I do think that this song is precious:)

    ReplyDelete